Saturday, August 3, 2013

REP MIKE NADEAU AND CHARLIE WEBSTER: WHERE'S YOUR PROOF?

Its been quite some time since I posted, I have been spending a lot of time managing my Lepage Must Go Facebook page, which has over 2700 likes as of today.

In this time the Maine Ethics Commission's investigation into accusations of illegal campaign activities by Rep Mike Nadeau and his campaign treasurer Phil Soucy have been resolved.  Apparently it was a split decision,the charges against Nadeau's campaign treasurer Phil Soucy were dismissed, and the serious allegations of collusion between Mike' campaign and the political group that Soucy was also treasurer of were not proven. Apparently a campaign volunteer did illegally buy an ad for Mike's campaign and this volunteer will be fined.

Interestingly, Nadeau posted a paranoid rant on Facebook a few days prior to the Commission's findings. Also, interestingly, the post was deleted soon after, along with some inflammatory charges put forth by former state Republican Party chair Charlie Webster in the comment section. Luckily I saved the text of both the post by Mike Nadeau and Charlie Webster's comments. This is what Mike posted:

"have not posted in a while because of the allegations pending. hearing on Monday and I think the lynching will be right after. thus far they have done any thing under the sun to discredit and destroy my life, my family, and my store, my friends, and every thing that is good in my life. they use the press and if you look at the press you will see that they have never interviewed me to get the real story. I have not been afforded any way of response since this began in November. a few in the
unbiased real press will get a story that will shock all of you and I hope will spring all of you to action, not for me but for your selves because you could be next. a heartfelt thanks to all my supporters and for those with question s, the answers are coming but not from the media that keeps reporting half stories meant to destroy.
prayers please."

                                           Rep. Mike Nadeau            Charlie Webster

I don't know what to make of this and I am waiting for his big tell all revelation concerning the persecution that was brought upon him via this investigation. And as far as the media is concerned, the stories I read concerning the charges were simply statements of the facts surrounding the case. Why do I have a feeling that the "true story" a la Nadeau will never come forth? And as an aside, the use of the word "lynching" is a little extreme and is an insult to the memory of the thousands of African Americans who actually suffered this treatment. I imagine Mike didn't mean to offend.

But far more interesting to me was the comment that Charlie Webster made underneath Mike's post, which was of course, deleted with the post. This is what he wrote:

"I served with John Martin and personally witnessed what he is capable of doing, when he loses. Anyone who thinks that this "investigation" is anything other than John Martin's allies trying to discredit Mike, they need to think again. John Martin has shown that he will say and do anything to
stay in power. The sad thing is that others are doing his bidding.
"

In 2012 Nadeau defeated long serving Rep John Martin in a close race. Charlie, who apparently recruited Mike to run and helped him corral the support he needed, makes a bald face accusation that John Martin was behind the investigation! Does Webster have proof? I think not, Webster is not big on proof. His allegations of wide spread voter fraud after the 2012 election were never proven.
                                                                     John Martin

So I am waiting for the proof of the great conspiracy theory put forth by Nadeau and his mentor Webster. I think they owe it to the public. Nadeau accepted public clean election funding for his campaign. With that money comes rules and regulations that are clearly spelled out on the website of the Maine Ethics Commission. And if these charges were politically motivated by the supposedly all powerful Martin, why were some of them dismissed? The Maine Ethics Commission is a bi-partisan  group that investigates and rules on possible infractions of clean election rules. The Commission consists of two Democrats, two Republicans, and one independent.

It is no secret that I do not see eye to eye with Mike Nadeau on political issues, but all our elected officials need to explain themselves when they make accusations. Proof is required, not just hearsay. You owe your constituents as much.











No comments:

Post a Comment